THE IMPORTANCE OF HEALTH EDUCATION AND PREVENTIVE SERVICES
Health education and preventive services offer the necessary support for the individuals of a community in maintaining their health and well-being. To assist in this purpose, health clinics provide various services and initiatives mask aimed at educating the individuals about their personal health.
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health education as “comprise(ing) consciously constructed opportunities for learning and involving some form of communication designed to improve health literacy, including improving knowledge, and developing life skills, which are conducive to individual and community health.”
Health education utilizes several of the effective educational tools available for spreading awareness among people regarding their personal health. In our community health care center, a team of medical professionals and support staff offers basic information to the patients concerning their health and those in their family. Health education relies on the principle of “prevention is better than cure” and therefore makes aware the patients about their overall health status and measures to maintain and improve it.
The importance of health education and preventive services lies in its valuable contribution to the education of the community. By adopting effective educational tools and resources available at our disposal, our health care providers aid in propagating the message of good health. Our holistic approach to health education extends to all the areas of wellness such as physical, psychological, social, and spiritual.
Efficient programs implemented through health education certainly influence the overall community, thereby prompting the individuals to become more conscious regarding their personal health. Some of the key services offered by health education and preventive services are:
• Conducting presentations and classes for patients covering a range of topics like sexual and reproductive health, disease prevention, general well-being, stress management, and nutrition.
• Special awareness programs for patients diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension that includes the numerous ways to cope with having the disease as well as in minimizing its effects on the body.
• Mental health initiatives for college students and elders that comprise of detailed presentations and exercises designed to boost the psychological well-being of an individual.
• Alcohol and drug prevention programs, offering a comprehensive review of the harmful effects in relying on such addictive substances. It also includes counseling and awareness programs aimed at vulnerable individuals like school and college students.
• Health education services to pregnant women pertaining to their pregnancy and the health of the infant.