A recent report submitted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) revealed that the sexually transmitted infection, trichomoniasis affects approximately 3.7 million Americans at any given time. However, as the symptoms of trichomoniasis are similar to the symptoms of any other sexually transmitted infections, diagnosing the disease is not complicated. Yet again, a physical examination and a few lab tests are necessary for the diagnosis of trichomoniasis. So, make sure to schedule a visit to our free women’s health clinic if you want to check whether you are suffering from this illness or not.

Trichomoniasis is caused by the one-celled protozoan organism known as Trichomonas vaginalis. It is reported that in certain cases, trichomoniasis has no symptoms, which means that you will not able to tell whether you have fallen prey to this severe disease or not. Recently, the CDC also stated that approximately 30 percent of people with trichomoniasis are the only ones who reported symptoms of the disease while the remaining 70 percent of people are unaware about their condition.

The symptoms of trichomoniasis usually occur 5 to 28 days after an individual is affected, but this can vary in the case of some individuals. The most common symptoms of trichomoniasis in women are as follows.

  • Yellow, green, gray, or white colored vaginal discharge with an unpleasant smell
  • Genital itching or burning
  • Vaginal spotting or bleeding
  • Genital swelling or redness
  • Recurrent urge to urinate

If you are having any of the above-mentioned symptoms, then you should immediately consult with a health care provider at our low income medical clinic, as it will help you know about what is triggering these symptoms.

Our health care provider will initially ask you a few questions about your sexual history and current health condition before running the medical tests. The care provider will then examine your urine sample or urethral or vaginal sample under a microscope, which will help them determine whether you have been infected or not. Sometimes, our free women’s health clinic might run a few more tests to confirm the results.

Trichomoniasis can be easily treated and the treatments are pretty much simple, if the disease is diagnosed in time. Studies conducted by experts in the field of medical science revealed that nine out of ten individuals who are suffering from trichomoniasis could be cured with just a single course of antibiotics. Get in touch with our low income medical clinic to know more about the disease and how to treat it.

Book an Appointment

    About the Author

    Dr. Ghassan M. Al-Jazayrly, MD

    A graduate of University of Aleppo Faculty of Medicine, Dr. Al-Jazayrly or, as he is colloquially known: Dr. AJ, is an oncologist and hematologist of a Complete Care Community Health Center (CCCHC) with more than 36 years of experience. In recent years, he’s been involved with a non profit organization known as Every Woman Counts (EWC) which provides free breast and cervical cancer screening and diagnostic services to California’s underserved populations in order to eliminate health disparities for low-income individuals.

    To Book an Appointment

    We are standing by to assist you.

    Please call 310-706-2594