After you complete the physical exam and answer all the questions, you will have to take a hearing exam and a balance assessment. You may be required to get a CT scan or an MRI scan as well, if required.
There are some other medical issues, which have similar symptoms to Meniere’s disease. So when getting diagnosed, your primary care doctor will want to rule out brain tumors and multiple sclerosis, and you may be required to take additional tests for these types of issues.
Depending on the severity of the patient, the types of treatment can include:
- Motion sickness medications: As dizziness and vertigo are two very common complications of the disease, one may try motion sickness medication to help with nausea.
- Hearing aids: Due to hearing loss, many people who suffer from the disease might have to get hearing aids in some cases.
- Middle ear injection: This injection reduces the symptoms of vertigo. Injecting a steroid into the ear that is affected and symptoms clear up in a matter of days.
- Surgery: Surgery is recommended as a last resort to treat Meniere’s disease. There are two different kinds of surgery, which can help: one will help to prevent any additional fluid build in the future, while the other one removes the current fluid buildup in the ear that is affecting the patient.
There are many things you try to naturally treat Meniere’s disease. One of the best things to start with is taking a look at your diet. Adjusting a few simple things may help you a lot in the long run. .
- Drink lots of water, especially if you are physically active during the day or have a physically demanding job. During hot months, make sure you are hydrating more than normal, as your body needs it.
- Try to stay away from foods containing tyramine. This amino acid is known to be found in red wines, some cheese, yogurts, and smoked meats.
- Use herbs such as ginger root, cayenne pepper, and turmeric to season foods. Some swear by the healing qualities of these herbs.
- Reducing the amount of alcohol you drink is known to help lower the inner ear fluid. Drinking too much alcohol can be harmful to people experiencing Meniere’s disease.
- Eating less salt and less salty foods will allow your body to discharge of additional fluids. Eating more salt and junk food will make your body retain additional fluids.