THE SIGNIFICANCE OF PRENATAL CARE
Many expert medical practitioners have stated that the best and simplest way to promote a healthy birth is by having a health pregnancy. Getting regular and early prenatal care significantly improves the chances for having a healthy pregnancy. Prenatal care should actually begin before pregnancy with a preconception care visit to a health care provider.
Preconception care visit is of significant importance, as it helps women take necessary steps for a healthy and safe pregnancy, even before they get pregnant. Below are a few steps every woman should follow before she gets pregnant. Following these steps will result in the birth of a healthy infant.
- Prepare a healthy regime for your reproductive life.
- Increase folic acid intake to a minimum of 400 micrograms.
- Ensure that the immunization schedules are accurate.
- Try to control medical conditions such as diabetes.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking, and stay away from the use of drugs.
- Try to achieve a healthy body weight.
- Do a little research and learn about your family health history and that of your partner.
- If you are feeling anxiety or depression, then immediately seek help from a professional.
If you have a doubt or suspicion that you are pregnant, then you should immediately schedule or book a visit to an experienced health care provider and start prenatal care right away. You will have to undergo weight checks and physical examination during the initial visits, and might also have to provide a sample of your urine for further tests.
The health care providers might also perform a few imaging tests and bloods tests based on the stage of your pregnancy. In addition to that, there will be also discussions about the infant’s health and the mother’s health.
Below are a few reasons why you should have a regular prenatal care.
- It eliminates or minimizes the chances for pregnancy complications.
- It ensures the safety of the infant.
- It makes sure that the medications taken by the mother are safe.
Prenatal care and preconception can help in reducing the chances for pregnancy complications. They also play a key role in informing women about the necessary steps they should adopt in order to ensure a healthy pregnancy and to keep their baby healthy.